Our client, a Supply & Trading Business based in Geneva, is currently seeking an experienced Middle Distillates Trader to be responsible for the trade flows around their asset base in North West Europe. This role will also involve some inland trading, particularly in the German market so fluent German is essential.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
The primary role is as a middle distillate trader, however as part of an integrated team the candidate will be expected to provide assistance and coverage for other trading and commercial areas falling within the trading group’s remit.
The duties within the role include:
• Negotiating market prices for product sales from and purchases to assets within the company and with other third parties as required.
• Monitoring product markets prices and dynamics to ensure maximum benefit for the group’s commercial activities. Seeking opportunities to capture value from temporary inconsistencies and discontinuities.
• Understanding key paper and physical deal components and devising risk management strategies to address such risks.
• Executing hedging transactions in accordance with the company’s policies and trading strategies.
• Actively managing the risk positions within their book, including deal entry and position and exposure monitoring.
• Proactively liaising with and assisting other trading functions such as Shipping, Refinery Scheduling and Production as well as the back office functions of Operations, Credit, Financial and Price Risk Management.
• Communicating relevant market intelligence with traders and others in company
• Providing timely and detailed product price data to asset economists
• Coordinating closely with other books in the trading team, for example Crude and other Products books, asset economists and the marketing groups to ensure a single transparent shared information set
• Maintaining and developing counterparty and commercial customer relationships
• Proactively supporting the development of refinery and origination income generating opportunities.
• Assisting with the group’s project management activities, such as refining and marketing strategies, product development, M+A activity and developing new markets for the group.
Track record of success in negotiating and executing physical oil/product transactions, with a middle distillate focus, for both export and local sales
Good understanding of product specifications and blending.
Experience of refinery economics, physical operations, refinery planning and scheduling
Detailed knowledge of negotiating contractual terms for physical and paper deals as well as a sound knowledge of charter parties, legal, VAT, letters of credit etc.
Understanding of optionality and how to use and monetise it
Key Skills & Competencies
Analytical and numerate
Strong communication and networking ability
Open and trustworthy and a team player
Ability to work closely with people of varying degrees of experience and be both trainee/trainer as circumstances befit
Fluent in English and German
For more information, please contact Peter Morgan