We are looking for an experienced Power Trader to join a top-tier international energy company to be based in London. The business specialises in cross-commodity derivatives trading and price risk management.
This role will initially require involvement in the pre and post trade processes, including trade booking, monitoring position and P&L check. The candidate will be a member of Energy Trading Team and will interact with external entities and internally with Sales, Operation and risk teams. In addition to the day to day business, the candidate will also be heavily involved in project work, helping formulate ideas, development of new trading strategies, development of pricing models and the continual growth of the business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Profitably and efficiently trade financial (and then physical) power, quoting prices to clients in a competitive and timely manner
- Ensure compliance with any regulatory requirements needed to perform main duties in an accurate and timely manner.
- Actively share information on the energy markets and the operating environments across the business.
- Book trades and monitor positions in the operating system to ensure compliance with company trading policies.
- Update appropriate prices within the trading system on a continuous basis including at the close of each trading day.
- Provide information as required by management.
- Provide support and guidance to less experienced colleagues.
- Raise any concerns with colleagues and management.
- Working closely with the Head of Power and Gas, provide support and guidance to the group’s marketing and trading teams in the area of Power markets, helping to service existing internal and external client flow and develop new commercially viable client relationships
- Meet an individual revenue target (Power, Gas, Emissions and Oil) and assist the team in achieving a team target for financial gas and power.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A committed team player prepared to share expertise and support the business in any way possible.
- Excellent understanding of commodity derivatives
- Excellent Excel and numeracy skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to take initiative, anticipate and work around challenges in order to achieve excellent results
- Patience – European power is a new market for the company
- A successful track record of European Power derivative trading
- Thorough understanding of financial and physical European power market
- Educated to degree level or appropriate experience